Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Ouch! My Scene Cred!

So I'm a CD addict, yes, but I'm also an indie rock conessuer. I'm wearing a wool tuke in the middle of september and did so all through summer. I'm probably only take it off in the the winter because thats when tukes become "Too fucking mainstreem."

Tukes totally sold out, man.

You doubt my credability as an indie rock kid? Man, I've got scene cred comin' out me arse. I had the best indie rock collection in the greater owen sound area until I moved to Scarborough. Check it out:
Sad Ninja Culture - Reinventing the Shaggs
Four Letter Favourite - The Late Night Streets EP
Perish - Marking Territory AND Music as Therapy (Unfortunetly, I do not have one of the seven copies of Dog Ear... but those songs are included on Music as Therapy)
Songs in the Key of Lurch, an Indie Rock Compilation from Southern Ontario
Jon Jerome - Green Eggs and Jam
Salem - The Demo Tape (One of the few to own this)
Wax Mannequin - Self Titled, And Gun, and The Price
Distrot - Another Useless Cure
Kostanza - Self Titled
Broken Arrow - Free Demo
Rajasi - Smiles Music Fire
An original early and very rare set of recordings by Jared Both, lead man of SNC
The New Black / Culture - how hardcore can you brush your hair ... Two guitar two voices and cello. BAM!
The Westmen (Its a barbershop CD, but its still Indie, yo)
a Recording of my high school's Spring Concert (Indie also, not indie rock, but whatever, I sang in that concert)

Never Heard of any of these Bands before? Yeah, THATS THE POINT! (You probably shower everyday... you're as un-indie as Justin Timberlake... You with your Creed CD's...)

And since moving to Scarborough, I have pciked up 6x6 Record's Anti-Hero Rock compilation and Uncle Ho, Small is Beautiful from the Risk Records label that is now no longer in existence. And I pay a low low indie price of One dollar for each.
Furthermore, Up untill a few minutes ago, I was the one of two people confrimed to own (there are three others who MAY own) a copy of a certain SNC song called 'Tragic Heroes'.
I had to share it by request of the song writer, but damn... It took a hit out of my scene cred. I can't make the same claim anymore.
Oh well, at least I can still always be remembered for my spoken word jam rendition of "The Cremation of Sam McGee"
Now THAT, That's fuckin' Indie.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:08 AM, Blogger meg said…

    by tukes do you mean toques? new scarberia slang methinks...

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger James said…

    I spent ten minutes trying to fgure out how to spell that stuff last night... and gave up. I think it adds indie character to spell toque wrong, anyway.

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Anonymous tulasi said…

    Right on man! keep indie music alive... see you around man... oh yeah rajasi has a few more albums now too... rock on!
    tulasi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home