Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are

IRON CHEF

One fo the best TV shows ever, that's for damn sure. So when I found out that there was a res event that mimiced this popular series, I flipped out and rolled around on my head, and proceeded to join allied with my housemate Gavin.

Unlike the TV show, there were four ingreedients that we needed to use, not just one. We were given Green Peppers, Potatos, Apples and Chocolate Chips.

Gavin and I decided that we wanted to go the way of stuffed peppers. We weren't the only ones - a lot of teams did. Ours were stuffed with the potatos, mashed with skins, garlic and green onion. We then mixed that with spiced ground beef and onion, stuffed it in the peppers, and topped with some cheese. Good stuff.

I also made some poor-man's stir fry with three different kinds of pepper (yellow red and green, obviously). I made it with beef and spiced it with mystery spice, chilli powder, a little garlic and some frozen mixed vegtables. This was on a bed of good old fashioned basmati rice.

Gavin also made the most popular item of the night, a chocolate apple cake topped with a little icing sugar.

Notable contenders used the green peppers as bowls (crazy shit) and there was some chocolate fondu, lots of other stuffed peppers.... I believe there were six or seven teams in all. A difficult challenge, to be sure, but one we felt we could meet.

Presentation wise, ours was probably one of the best. Not to be modest or anything... We used parsley because we could. Some teams thought that was going overboard, but whatever, what do they know? It helped us in the end, because we got second place. The judges admitted to it being closer to a tie than anything else, but knocked us a spot because of the frozen mixed vegtables.... Guess next time I should use real carrots.

An excellent experience, to be sure. Unfortunetly, the prize for second place was two dinners at bluffs. I mean, c'mon, I cooked better food than that place! And besides, what are Gavin and I supposed to do with those? Go on a man-date?

2 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Leslie Puiras said…

    Chanting: MAN-DATE, MAN-DATE, MAN-DATE...

    haaaahahaha

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger James said…

    Gavin traded me the left of peppers and the cheese for my half of the prise. I assume he going to take his girlfriend to bluffs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home