Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Poor Bastard

So I was sitting in my Clasical Mythology Exam writing a short answer question involving the story of Orpheus and Euridice as told by Vergil compared to Ovid.

And I realised, wow, it's a pretty tragic story. I mean, Orpheus is just this dude in love, and he marries Euridice and expects happiness, but instead gets a dead wife with a snakebite. So, Orpheus is so in love with this girl that he travells to the underworld with the intention of getting her back, because her untimely death is unfair.

Hades and Persephone are moved, and let him go with his wife, but tell him not to look back. But Orpheus can't help it, he's way too into this girl and he looks back with the intention of making sure she's okay. It was a caring glance, one made out of concern and love. All Euridice has time to say is "Goodbye" and then she's taken back to the Underworld.

And I'm sitting there, thinking "dude, that totally sucks."

I think I might write an emo song about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home