Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The problem with creative writing

I have a problem. First off, I don't write as often as I'd like to. Especially over the last two years. But, finding the time can be difficult, and university is not always condusive to the mindset needed to pump out a good story. But that's a minor issue. The real problem is what education is doing to my ideas. I cringe and writhe when I think of some of the trite passages that have flowed forth from my finger (hey, that was some good alliteration). But, for all the tens of unfinished stories with a fun narrative but no backbone, there are a few gems i managed to polish off. One in particular stands out, the work that still carries its working titles (because nothing presented itself otherwise) - "Oh Shit." This title, obviously, needs to go. and I've mulled it over in days long past, but have been ultimately unable to change it. However, recent events (Mainly, being handed a free copy of GIDEONS BIBLE) have reminded me of an intended edit to the story. Upon applying certain concepts I have learned about literature in the past three years, I realised how I could make this story into something more than it ever was.

Allow me to use my blog to write down a few notes to myself (so as to make sure I won't forget).
-Names will change. A lot of them. Josh becomes Dan, Cathy becomes Nancy, Jethro becomes Isaac, Zephyr has to change to something else.
-An additional vehicle must be used. It will affectionately be refered to as "The Gideon." It belongs to Peter.
-trite sentences will be removed.
-The sick (absent) teacher will be named "Robert Service (no relation to the poet)"
-"The small town" will be named (douglas coupland, eat your heart out. Canadian lit stays put)
all of these will have bearing on the narrative. It's likely many passages will change. And additional scene will be added to the beginning of the story. Possibly two. This will deal with the larger issue of the major change in focus that occured when I was writing the original (away from romance to the greater plot of the prank).

hmmm....

Seems I've got my work cut out for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home