Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

It'll follow you around the room...

Its too late at night for me to do this subject any justice (not that I write anything that profound on a blog anyway), but I just noticed something about popular music.
With the advent of using weird shit to make strange sounds it seems like musicians (or producers) have forgotten about one tool they have - and don't really take advantage of: Stereo Sound.
Listen to Led Zeppelin's What is and What Should Never be. The guitar blast out two power chords in the left speaker, then switched over almost entirely to the right.
It give the sound movement. It follows you around the room. For as long as I can remember, I have always pointed in the deriction of the guitar during that song... I must look a crazy fool when I do it, too. And this tecnhique, editing effect, whatever you want to call it - I can't think of one instance where it is used to any great effect. I think the Mars Volta sort of does it with some of their weird ambient noise, but its more of a fade from one end to the other, suggesting a car passing or a wave or something. The Chili Peppers might have done the same thing, but I can't think of a specific example right now. But they're all fades; nowhere, to my knowledge, has anybody done the straight dead switch from left to right like Led Zeppelin.
The real injustice is that it sounds good and could be used to good effect. It doesn't have to be a copy of led Zeppelin either - it's just a tehcnique, is all.
It's crazy shit. If you're producing your own album as a rock band - I emplore you, do crazy shit that sounds good. Like hard switches in balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home