Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"Being is waiting, and we wait for being"

That's how Professor Leonard ended his lecture on Waiting for Godot this morning. In a sense it's almost hypocritical, since he lectures about words that means nothing all the time, and that statement, while looking incrediblly profound, isn't really because it means almost nothing. Its an infite regress, we wait to be and we are, because we are waiting to be... and so on.
I just find it interesting to be back in a class with Professor Leonard professing. This man isn't a good lecturer because he's funny or interesting or that he never says "um"... in fact, he never even slows down. He's living the twentieth century dream of just talking - his lectures are almost a stream of consciousness, but that is a digression from my point. Professor Leonard is a good professor because he articulates clearly, but in an engaging way, exactly what you have been feeling and thinking your whole life without being able to articulate it. His theories about the nature of the twentieth century have to be right, because every wednesday morning, he makes me challenge the society I live in. And it is through that challenge that I can understand how we exist and intergrate myself without losing my identity. Maybe. I don't know. And that, right there, is the point of the course. I think. Maybe. Incertitude takes over!
Long story short, this class is entertaining and relevant. And it makes me think, which is more than can be said about other classes. Thus, if I could give my professors grades, I'd give Professor Leonard an A+ because, in three hours of sitting there, I don't get bored. Maybe it's because I wasn't waiting for it to end, so I wasn't really there at all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home