Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Past the point of no return

Last night I relived a huge part of my childhood. I remembered a time when my brother and oldest sister acted out a scene from the tha phantom of the opera in the kitchen of my first house. It was just some kids playing, but I look up to all my siblings so much, that at that moment, The Phantom of the Opera became one of the coolest things ever. My best friend from elementry school days, BVT, was also a big phantom fan - he went so far as to learn to play the songs on the piano.
In grade eight, it was a big deal when my class went to go and see the play at the Pantages here in Toronto. It was the last year that the musical ran there, and an understudy played Raoul ... turns out he was better at it then the guy who was supposed to.
Last night I went to go and see the movie. I was, at first, a bit leery of the film. I was afraid that it might not be very good, but then I learned how much Andrew Lloyd Weber was involved in the making of the motion picture. You can't go wrong when the original compser is involved!
I have to say, the movie was incredible. I mean, it wasn't shocking or surprising, I know the story oh so well, but it was enjoyable. The film medium gave the story one feature that the stage could never provide - the visuals were beyond description. Really f'in good, if I may say so myself.
Although the movie really can't hold a candel to the original film, it was real good-like. I enjoyed it, anyway... Plus, I already know all the words!

In other news, the next Dirk Pitt movie is past the point of no return (a little phanton quote there). It wouldn't be hard for Sahara to be better than Raise the Titanic, but it looks like they messed it up... which is sad for the movie makers, because they have the rights to three books and could make one hell of a film franchise if they'd only stay true to the books like Clive Cussler asked. Oh well, I'm going to see it anyways - it is my favourite action novel, and, well - in fact, it was the first Dirk Pitt novel I read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home