Pirates are Cool.

Captured bits of life... Pirates at no extra cost. Arrrg. Also cool: Zombies, Aliens, Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Vikings, the Noble River Horse, the Sinister Octopi, Robots and Kittens.

Friday, April 15, 2005

At long last, the end begins

By a trick of the courses that I took this semester, I only have four exams. Only, these four exams all took place in the moderate to late timeframe of the exam scheduel. Today, at long lat, I wrote my first exam. After today, there are three more and I'm done my first year of University. It went really fast and incredibly slow, but that's another story.
Today's exam was Critical Thinking about Poetry. This was, surprisingly, my favourite course of the year. Why? Because I never used to like poetry. I think one of the major contributing factors to this new appreciation of poetry was my professor. Professor DuBois is good at what he does, plus he's from Alabama and pronounces his name "Doo-Boys" instead of the French way your typical Canadian (me) would expect. He knows his shit when it comes to poetry (and rap lyrics, too... I'm looking foreward to that class in the future). A good teacher will always improve a course, but as an added bonus, Professor DuBois said a lot of funny things this term. I thought I might type a few.

while talking about "No Worst, There is None" by Hopkins, a poem that alludes to old English styles, Professor DuBois wrote teh letters 'OE' on the chalkboard and then turned to the class and said... :
"I know a lot of you probably know all about Old English... if not the verse."

While discussing Robert Browning's "My Last Duchess" ... the speaker of this poem subvertly hints that he killed his last duchess:
"Most mass murderers aren't known to have written great poetry."

In class after a Blizzard:
"I see why you Canadians don't start many wars - You're too busy shoveling snow all the time."

Contemplatively... :
"Oh shit... Mortality..."

Sarcastically, while reading T.S. Elliot's "the Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock:
" 'Do I dare to eat a peach?' Wahoo! Exciting life."

While discussing Gertrude Stein:
"I'm not going to spell it out for you what ' Tender Buttons' might have to do with sex."

To encourage us all ... :
"Maybe you're taking English classes because you want a worthless career"

Just before a quiz:
"Don't look at you syllabus, don't look in your notes, don't look in your books - I'm not fucking around about this."

I don't even know where this one came from:
"Nativity - you know, at Christmas? They don't call it that because there's Donkeys and stuff in there - it's where Jesus was born."

While discussing Sylvia Plath's "Morning Song" :
"It doesn't say 'a drunken accident in the backseat of a car set you going.' "
"It's a more Naturalist, homeopathic, hippie type thing."
"I'm sure you see a lot of your parents in yourselves. I know I do... I can probably stamp that out with a lot of therapy, though."
"It's a genre of poems where you talk shit about your parents."

1 Comments:

  • At 2:47 AM, Blogger chrysalis said…

    i took english literature in college. it was truly, the best of times {no pun intended). till now, i don't quite understand why there aren't enough english majors.

    anyway, your post just brought back certain fond memories. thanks :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home